Starting & Stopping Service
Is your address served by South Mesa Water Company? Click on the link in the “About Us” tab on the home page to see a map of our service area or call our office at (909) 795-2401.
To view a map of our service area, click here.
Owner Starting Service
- If you have purchased, or are in the process of purchasing, property in our service area please be sure to notify your escrow company that there is water stock. As a mutual water company, we require the water stock be transferred into your name. This generally happens during the escrow process. Please visit the “Stock Transfer” and “Shareholder Information” tabs on this website for more information.
- Because of our status as a mutual water company, water accounts are the financial responsibility of the legal property owner. We do not make financial arrangements with tenants. If a property owner wants a tenant to pay the water account it is the property owner’s responsibility to forward the water bill to the tenant. Water bills are liens against the water stock and failure to keep water accounts current could result in the loss of water stock and the property’s right to water. Landlords may suggest their tenants enroll in our “Direct Debit” payment program. Please see the “Payments Options” tab on this website for more information.
- If water is off at the property, we will make an appointment for one of our field personnel to meet you or your representative at the property during normal business hours to turn on the water. If an appointment is not possible during normal business hours, we can remove the lock from the meter and leave the water off at the customer valve in the meter box for you to turn on at your convenience.
Tenant Starting Service
- South Mesa Water Company does not put water accounts in tenant’s names. Because we are a mutual water company and not a public utility, the water account is the financial responsibility of the property owner of record.
- Tenants may call our office to sign up to receive a courtesy copy of the bill.
- Tenants may call our office at (909) 795-2401 to find out the amount of the bill and delinquent date.
- Tenants may also sign up for our “Direct Debit” payment program. Please visit the “Payment Options” tab on this website for more information. As required by our financial institution, a tenant who signs up for “Direct Debit” will receive a courtesy copy of the water bill in the mail.
Owner Stopping Service
- If your property is occupied by anyone, the City of Yucaipa and City of Calimesa prohibit us from disconnecting service at tenant-occupied properties. We can only shut off water at tenant-occupied properties for non-payment or if the property is vacant.
- If you are selling your property in our service area, please be sure to notify your escrow company that there is water stock. Your water stock will need to be transferred to the new buyer during the escrow process. Escrow will request a closing water bill which, when paid, will remove the account from your name and place it in the name of the new owner.
- If you are moving out of your property, but it has not sold, and the property is vacant, we can lock the water off to avoid the accrual of service charges. Please call our office at (909) 795-2401 to request service disconnection. We will read the meter, lock it off and send you a closing water bill. Please note, the water account and water stock will remain in your name until such time the property is transferred to a new owner.
- If your property becomes bank-owned, and is vacant, please call our office at (909) 795-2401 to have your service disconnected. We will read the meter, lock it off and send you a closing water bill.
- If your property becomes bank owned and it is occupied by anyone we cannot disconnect service until such time the water bill becomes delinquent and subject to shut-off or the property becomes vacant. The water account and water stock will remain in your name until such time it is transferred to a new owner.
Tenant Stopping Service
- If you are a tenant moving out of property in our service area please have your landlord call our office at (909) 795-2401 to request a closing water bill. We will read the meter and send your landlord a closing water bill.
- We cannot disconnect service at a tenant’s request.