South Mesa Water Company is a mutual water company and is shareholder owned. We are regulated by the State of California Corporation Commission and are governed by five-member elected Board of Directors. Board members meet monthly with an annual shareholders’ meeting. Governing of the Company is done is accordance with adopted by-laws.
South Mesa Water Company was established on November 6, 1912 as Yucaipa Water Company #3 which was part of the original Redlands and Yucaipa Water Company. In 1913, Yucaipa Water Company #3 changed its name to South Mesa Water Company. Records indicate the Company was first organized as an irrigation company. Its primary purpose was the distribution of irrigation water but, as development occurred, that purpose gave way to the need for municipal and industrial water uses. Presently no irrigation water service remains and all water served is domestic.
In 1953, South Mesa Water Company moved its offices from Redlands to our present location at 391 West Avenue L in Calimesa.
On December 8, 2011, after 50+ years in the same building, South Mesa Water Company broke ground on a new office. The Company looks forward to creating new office space for the next 50+ years.
On November 6, 2012 we celebrated our 100 year anniversary.